Subscribe

First Mac Annoyance

Posted by Garth on Saturday, October 24, 2009

I just moved a folder (Books) into another folder containing a subfolder Books.  It asked me if I want to overwrite the target folder (which, admittedly, I assumed meant "overwrite any files contained within that are already there").  Thinking it would merge them as it does in Windows, I said yes.  Instead it wiped the target and moved the source.  Luckily there wasn't anything really important in there, but that's somewhat retarded imho.  If it's gonna be destructive it should at least tell me that, or give me the option to merge.

Oh ya, and Time Machine doesn't work on a FAT32 drive, which is what I need so that I can share between my OSes (as well as with my friends).  I suppose I could partition, but who can ever predict how much space they'll need for various partitions/data stores?  Not I.  Frustrating.

As an aside, I just finished installing Windows 7 using BootCamp via my USB HDD.  Took some finagling, but I managed to get it to install and all the drivers seem to be there (i.e. no unrecognized devices).  So now I just need to figure out what I want to play, cuz I've been missing gaming.   I would also like to say that for the record, it looks pretty much like Vista.  Tough to compare speeds since this machine is much faster than my Tablet was, but it does seem snappier (but then, when does a clean install NOT feel snappier than a bloated pre-load?).  I'd also like to say that the Mac eye candy still puts Windows to shame.  I was working in it for a bit and thinking "hmm... not bad. Visually pleasing. This might actually be better than OSX".  Then I booted back into Macintosh-land and after launching one app thought "nope, Windows still has a long way to go in the eye candy department".

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)