Subscribe

International Bacon Day

Posted by Garth on Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tomorrow (September 5th) is International Bacon Day.  I had some grandiose plans for this day a few months ago, but as often happens, plans change.  So, I'm going to be celebrating this most reverent of holidays by going to eat Moo Kata.  There's a really detailed explanation of this food/ritual/event/porky goodness at that link back there, so I won't bother you with too much detail.  But suffice it to say that it involves choice cuts of pork (mostly bacon and bacony parts) cooked over an open flame on a metal skillety bbqy thingy.  I've only had it once before, and it's definitely not something I should be doing on a regular basis (due to the crack-like effects of bacon addiction), but tomorrow is a special day.  And don't worry, I'll be taking pictures and describing the process in detail.  And to top it all off it's only 120 baht per person - ALL YOU CAN EAT!!!  That's about $4 CAD... for ALL THE BACON YOU CAN EAT!!!  And there's some vegetables and stuff there too, but I neither have the time nor the gastronomical capcity for such things when I'm staring down so much bacony goodness.

And as a side note, "moo" in Thai means pork.  But "neua" means beef.  I'm not sure if Thai cows make a different sound than Canadian cows, but I would think that "moo" would be more appropriate for beef.  Oh, and "poo" means crab.  Which is funny when a Thai person speaking Thenglish says "I want to eat some poo".

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)