Subscribe

Antitheism

Posted by Garth on Saturday, May 19, 2007

For my religion in my facebook profile I put Antitheist. One of my friends asked me about it, specifically:

You're the first I've met who defines themselves as such...in fact, had to look up the definition.

Very interesting...for me though, it's still vague in that what is the definition of "God" - i.e. are you only anti the idea of God or are there other higher powers you will accept?

Curious, religions of all sorts interest me...belief systems of all sorts interest me...the later probably being more appropriate.

Long story short... brought up Catholic. Baptised, Confirmation, Catholic School (elementary and high) blah blah blah. Did it all cuz it was the social norm where I grew up. Upon later reflection I realized it's all a bunch of crap. Some religions are smarter than others. Catholicism is the dumbest. And since I relate Theism to Catholicism first and foremost, naturally I tend toward antitheism. Here's some reasons why (Jerry Falwell quotes obtained via Mark Morford):
  1. According to Jerry Falwell, "The Bible is the inerrant ... word of the living God. It is absolutely infallible, without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as in areas such as geography, science, history, etcetera."
  2. Another Jerry Falwell - "Christians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions."
  3. According to Carl Sagan, the Catholic church did not admit that the Earth was NOT the center of the universe until the 1980s.
It's these sort of ridiculous beliefs that lead me away from religion. The reason that I tend towards anti- is that this kind of crap is rotting the brains of people that believe it.

Religion is basically a way to explain the inexplicable and the unknown. The problem is that science progresses and moves forward, thus dispelling many of the religious beliefs that are taken on "faith". To actually believe that religions are teaching truths eliminates objective thinking. Without objective thinking we would have no science. Without science we'd be living in the stone ages. Basically, religion is a way to control the masses. I don't like being controlled, and as you can see from my previous post, Garth likes to shake his fist at God.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)