Subscribe

Infrastructure vs. Development

Posted by Garth on Sunday, September 12, 2010

I just spent about 2 hours trying to resolve a problem between a web app and the db.  I considered writing this post tomorrow, but decided that given my mindset right now it was more appropriate not to wait.

I remember the days of working infrastructure that we would schedule maintenance at 11pm.  We'd meet up at the server room and bust our asses to get everything done by 1:30am so that we could hit Jack Astor's (or whatever bar was nearby to the hosting environment / office) and order a pitcher before last call.  Because, as infrastructure monkeys, we knew that when the bits started flowing, our job was done.

But, as mentioned above, I just spent about 2 hours (from 1:00am to 3:00am) trying to resolve a problem between a web app and the db.  I got it resolved.  But, as a developer, all that means is that it's now time to BEGIN doing work.  Cuz as a developer, when the infrastructure is finally working, my job has just begun.

Mike and Fred, I miss you guys.  And our late-night downtown Toronto drunken server escapades.  And Lemmiwinks.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)