Subscribe

In Search of a Great Pad Thai

Posted by Garth on Friday, November 27, 2009

I just got back from Laos (via Bangkok) a couple days ago.  Passing through Bangkok I spent a night at a friend's place and went to a Thai Karaoke, outside of which there was a Pad Thai vendor.  And let me tell you... this was the best Pad Thai I've ever had.  Before this experience, I wasn't even a fan.  And now, I'm back in Phuket and went to my favorite cheap Thai food place to see how theirs compared.  Suffice it to say, it didn't.  Not even close.  So now, I'm on a hunt.  Where in Phuket (the closer to my abode the better) can I find good ... nay, GREAT ... Pad Thai.  I'm not going to rest until this mission is complete.  On the downside, each time I get a shitty Pad Thai I end up hungry.  On the bright side, each attempt only costs me around 30 baht.  Tonight's attempt was a failure.  Maybe tomorrow I will succeed.  I just need to remember to say "mai ao koong, mai ao moo, mai ao gai" ("don't want prawn, don't want pork, don't want chicken")... I don't know why, but the veggie-only Pad Thai in Bangkok was way better than any meat-oriented dish I could imagine.  So screw the animals... I just want noodles, peanuts and veggies.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)