Subscribe

Sketchy Thailand Internet

Posted by Garth on Sunday, October 4, 2009

The other day the whole country was out.  It happened around 6pm.  I'm guessing some guy in a server room somewhere was drinking Sangsom then kicked a cable that he shouldn't have on his way home.  Cuz it got resolved at around 8:30 the next morning.  You know, when businesses opened and people started trying to do their jobs.  And likely when the drunk guy from the night before got back to work and realized what he'd done.  I really do find it fascinating that it took until the next business day to get resolved.  As far as I'm concerned, Internet is a utility.  If you're electric's not working or your water's not flowing, does the service company wait until the next business day to get it resolved or do they work on it all night until it's fixed?  Actually, in Thailand I think they wait til the next day (there's been more than a few hours at a time that I've been without water).

Fast forward to last night.  Internet's out again.  I run a traceroute.  Makes it 13 hops to what I had previously looked up to be the TOT International Internet Gateway in Thailand.  Figuring a nationwide outage again I didn't bother making a stink about it.  This was around 8:30pm last night.  But, this morning I wake up and it's still down.  Texted the owner of the building hoping she'd call cuz as we all know the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Instead she asked me to log into the router and try resetting it.  Since it was really the only action I could perform I figured I'd give it a shot.  And what?  Internet started working again.  Which really baffles me.  Cuz prior to this I was still able to traceroute 13 hops to the same TOT International Internet Gateway.  Yet after resetting the modem the 14th hop was now Verizon Business in Watsonville, California.  How is it that resetting my modem fixed a routing problem 14 hops down the line?  Baffling.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)