Subscribe

Dos, Dos and Dos

Posted by Garth on Tuesday, December 2, 2008

If the English language wasn't already messed up enough with "their", "there" and "they're", I've realized in recent posts that my blog is gonna cause just as much confusion.

Dos /dɔs, dɒs/ : The nickname given to me by my sister when I was about 15; short for Dosboy; originally derived from D(isk) O(perating) S(ystem).
Dos /doʊs/ : The single-syllable word I use to describe my bar, Dos Gringos; Spanish for "two".
Dos /duz; unstressed dʊz, dəz/ : Many items in a To-Do list, as in To-Dos; rarely (if ever) used here since I really have nothing that I have to do (or at least I try not to).

Hopefully the context of the word will make it obvious, but I'm not gonna stress too much about it.  Just an anecdotal observation really.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)