Subscribe

Follow-Up to Vista, Media Center and XviD... Oh My!

Posted by Garth on Thursday, May 29, 2008

So I believe I have resolved this issue, and I did so inadvertently. Yesterday I was screwing around with Media Player Classic and codecs and installed 64-bit versions of each (Media Player Classic Homecinema x64 here). The new MPC is pretty much like the old one, but with a few more bells and whistles. However what I realized while playing around with this is that 64-bit apps don't use 32-bit codecs, and vice-versa. So it seems that even though Vista will run both 32- and 64-bit apps, the two can not interact with each other. Ended up installing the 64-bit K-Lite codec pack and my 64-bit MPC was purring. Today I thought to myself, "Self... maybe by installing all those 64-bit DirectShow filters you fixed the Media Center issue you were having and can finally use the fancy little remote control that came with your fancy little tx2000z". Well, my self was right. Just loaded up Media Center and was able to play back XviD with no problems at all. Definitely slower and chunkier than MPC, but full use of the remote control is pretty valuable, so I'm sure I'll be using a little bit of a) and a little bit of b) throughout my laptop's life.

I love it when a plan comes together.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)