Subscribe

New Camera

Posted by Garth on Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I really need a decent digital camera. If any of my loyal readers have any suggestions, I'm all ears. My requirements are as follows:

  1. Really small. Pocketable. If I can't put it in my pocket, I won't carry it with me, and hence will not take any pictures, thus defeating the purpose of having a camera altogether.
  2. 10x Optical Zoom. I love zoom, but digital sucks. 10x optical would be awesome.
  3. Image Stabilization. I have shaky hands. Flunked out of surgery school cuz I accidentally cut someone's aorta. Actually, I really just always lose at Operation.
  4. SDHC support. Probably not a difficult requirement, but it negates most Sony options.
That's pretty much it. Simple, right? So somebody tell me what I should get, cuz as much as I love my Kaiser, the camera simply blows.



UPDATE: I think I've narrowed it down to one of three cameras. The Canon PowerShot TX1, the Panasonic DMC-TZ3S, or the Panasonic DMC-TZ4S. The Panasonic's appear to be of slightly higher picture and feature quality, but the Canon is just so damn tiny. One review said it's the size of a pack of smokes. That is soooo pocketable. Take a look at the size comparison below next to an iPhone and a deck of cards. Follow the link to look at different viewing angles to really see what I'm talking about.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I am sure you will have stumbled across this site, but dpreview.com has always been awesome for in depth (like too much information) reviews of digital cameras.

I don't know anything about the specific cameras you listed, but I tend to like the look and feel of Canon firmware (menu nav etc.) over Panasonic (but it has been a while for both).

Garth said...

Ya, dpreview likes the Panasonic better than the Canon, but they don't really take the size aspect into consideration (in fact the guy disses the Canon because he has trouble figuring out where to put his fingers due to its diminutive size). Also the Canon is $100-$150 more than the Panasonic. But damn it's small!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)