Posted by Garth on Saturday, December 13, 2008

It appears that Google (Blogger) has made some changes recently, which caused my hacked DNS solution to fail.  Very annoying.  Took me about 12 hours to realize that it was a DNS problem on my side that I needed to fix, though obviously due to changes on their side.  Basically what it comes down to is that Blogger doesn't allow you to set up an A record (or at least doesn't support doing so), so (rather than is a bit of a crapshoot as they can change the IP that my A record is pointing to at any time.  And they did.  Yesterday it was and today it's  Boo.

Makes me consider switching to WordPress.  They definitely have a better interface and a lot more functionality... I'm just not sure what it would do to my old posts, stats, etc.  Also I'm not sure if they support a root A record either.  PITA.

UPDATE:  So it turns out that WordPress charges for custom domain mapping and doesn't support AdSense (though they'll apparently display their own occasionally unless you pay them not to).  Weak.  I mean, shit, I've had AdSense on my site for almost 6 months now and I've made a whopping $5.18 (or, well, have that in the GoogleBank until I make $100 and get my big fat paycheque).  But anyway, I'm not paying to use my own domain.  So I guess I'm at the whim of Blogger until a better solution is found.


Michael Reid said...

Hey dude.

Isn't this a job for a CNAME record? I just skimmed this post, and then skimmed this article:

Can't you just point it to and skip this A record / IP rolling over bullshit?

Garth said...

Well, I couldn't before cuz you can't assign root ("@") to a CNAME (so would work but just would fail). But it seems Blogger secretly stuck in a Setting to allow this at some point in the recent past. Testing and follow-up post to come.

Michael Reid said...

Not sure of the setting that you are talking about, but yeah, you can't make a CNAME for the root of a domain. I misunderstood.

In other news, actually has a CNAME for which from where I am sitting is (where are you getting I have had the root for pointing to (through A record) for over a year and I just took a look and .81.121 is a dead host. Good thing it is also dead domain :)

Recommends: 14400 IN A 14400 IN A 14400 IN CNAME

So the first a record is now dead, not sure what the other one is.

I now share your grrrr.

Anywho.. let me know how you make out.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)