Subscribe

Surreal

Posted by Garth on Thursday, July 10, 2008

Was sitting downstairs at Dos Gringos today having a beer. No customers were in there other than me. Just the girls that work there. I was sitting at the bar and they were behind it talking in Thai. Every once in awhile they'd say some phrase or sentence in English and my ears would perk up and try to figure out what they were talking about. But I never could since it was only a few words here and there. Occasionally they'd say something and then all look at me and smile/laugh (which would inevitably cause me to smile - they really are contagious). Or I'd hear "Santino" somewhere amidst the Thai. These girls like to gossip. Anyway, as I was sitting there it kinda hit me that I'm in a foreign country where I don't speak the language. And yet I was totally content. I get along great with all these girls, even the ones that can't really speak English. Not something I ever would have thought possible, but there it is.

On a related note, I need to start taking Thai lessons. Cuz I think given the same scenario but I actually knew what they were saying would make it much more intriguing. Wow. That last sentence was awkward.

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)